Content Designer and Editorial Strategist

Hi! I’m Meriah. I've delivered exceptional content design and editorial to some of the world's largest digital media brands. My love of clarity and concision brings joy and ease to user journeys.

I bring your UI to life.

I reduce friction.

I lessen cognitive load.

I empathize.

Brands for which I have written, edited, content designed, created style guides and other editorial:

Content Design

Retrofit guides with deep links to Facebook activity log from Privacy Center (2022)

This project allowed users to take direct action on behalf of their privacy-related matters, replacing an experience that relegated them to reading about the actions they could take. My contributions to this project introduced user education and tailored content for three separate user paths.


Meta's Privacy Center portal sent users to Facebook's Help Center from three separate sub-guides (above). They linked to Help Center articles about activity log, not activity log itself. I was tasked with rethinking the content design in this project that rerouted users directly to activity log.


For the three list cells here I decided to focus on the user action and not the destination page name. So instead of “Activity log” as the header for all three (like it was before), each new listcell header speaks to the desired action for each of these three use cases. That choice is not only more parallel with the other guide headings, but it’s easier for users to understand. The subheadings for each further drive at this idea, suggesting and elaborating on specific actions users in each flow might want to take. I used the same heading for the first two guides – “Review past activity” – but the subheadings are different, tailored to each use case. 

I also designed an educational banner (above) that appears on the activity log home page only when users navigate from the three aforementioned entry points. The banner explains that people can use controls here for their privacy matters. It offers instruction on how to use activity log, suggests actions, and links to a Help Center article to learn more.

The entire design amounts to a better user experience: Users can quickly take action, and the way education is progressively disclosed, they can get more information if they need it.

My XFN team tested my design to see if visitations to activity log would increase enough to merit launching it. It did and subsequently launched globally on web and mobile.

Deprecating Facebook automatic activity controls (2022)

I worked as the CD on an XFN team to deprecate automatic activity controls -- which proved to be unpopular enough with users to sunset it. I raised several considerations during the process, and caught issues that significantly impacted design decisions. Most notably, the singular final design--and my strings in it--served two separate test groups who had been using two differing versions of the feature (including two different user-facing names).


Before my content strategy came together, I sought to deeply understand the existing feature in order to discover the project's demands and constraints. The project was more complicated than it first appeared because of the need to solve for two test groups who would eventually experience one unified deprecation flow. The existing product itself was also half-baked, meaning we were deprecating a feature that hadn't graduated to full functionality.

My eye for detail and quality control kept the naming, casing, phrasing and overall style of the content design consistent and easy for users to understand. Catching a naming inconsistency was key, as was solving for it.

In the end, our design and my contributions kept the user experience streamlined, simplified and clear. I iterated with the PD and my CD team several times before final internal reviews. My strings got the green light in final reviews. The design went live on desktop and mobile. 

Case Study